Friday, November 11, 2011

Articulation Eye Spy Bags

Hi friends. I'm sharing a project with you today that I made over the summer. It's a quick and easy tutorial for a speech therapy activity.

You’ve likely seen ‘Eye Spy’ activities floating around.  They’re available here on Amazon. I thought they would be a good quiet activity for articulation kids. In small groups they keep on student  busy when I’m spending a few minutes of 1-1 time with another student. They are also something I use to occupy the kids for a second if I need to jot something down in their treatment notes, if I have to answer a call to take a msg. or if I need to talk to another teacher.   I made my own eye spy bags for the /k/ and /f/ sound.

There are some nice tutorials out there in blog land, so google it if you want yours fancier! I wanted mine cheap, fast and easy so here is what I came up with.




Articulation Eye Spy Bags.

1 bag poly-pellets (I got mine at Michael’s Craft Store) – 1 bag of this will make 2 eye spy bags
1 pencil case with a clear front (From WalMart for 50 cents!)
10 Trinkets with target sounds (gathered from misc. places. You could order a bag of them from etsy if needed)
10 Trinkets WITHOUT target sound.
Hot Glue
Ribbon
Camera

Lay out only your target sound trinkets. Take a picture of them. Print and laminate the picture. Place half a bag of pellets into the pencil case. Add trinkets with target sounds. Pick about 10 other trinkets that don’t include the target sound. Close the pencil case, check to make sure the filling seems like the right amount. It shouldn’t be so stuffed you can’t search for your items! Hot glue over your pencil case zipper to prevent a terrible pellet spill! Use a ribbon to tie the picture of the target sounds to your pencil case. That’s it! It just took me about 5 minutes to assemble them once I had all the materials.

This bag has /f/ items such as butterfly, fish, and leaf. It's been a great activity for preschoolers!

Let me know if you have any questions.

If you enjoyed this post... become a follower, leave a comment, or shoot me an email!