Monday, April 30, 2012

Under the Sea

Last month in preschool I read one of my favorites, There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell. We retold the story with pictures from Boardmaker and we made these great "fish tanks"!



My preschoolers and I had a great time making these little fish tanks! With 3 simple materials you can make them too! Don't worry I made 31 and not a single one leaked in a backpack!



In my head, this is what our tanks would look like. But in real life, adding the 'port hole' was too labor intensive and took away from the speech/language focus so I ditched it after the first kiddo :)



I used the Pictello App to make a picture story that my students could use! It helps if we can watch the video of each step. The picture above is a screen shot right before they played the movie with each step. Then as we made the tanks, we went step by step following directions.


The secret to these beauties is this awesome hair gel. The bubbles in it are perfect! I got mine at Wal-Mart for about a buck. You need one bottle for about 6-8 "tanks". You also need plastic sandwich bags and swedish fish!



The squeezing was their favorite part! This is one of my pictures from the Pictello instructions!



They all did really great following the app and adding their fish! We targeted concepts, following directions, articulation, sentence formation, and question generation!



Some other activities we did include this ocean magnet puzzle. It was really great for new vocabulary and multisyllabic words.



We also did our photo fish from Super Duper Inc. I have lots of friends working on those tricky velar sounds!

We had lots of fun. Any fish activities that you have done in your speech sessions?