Monday, June 10, 2013

Watermelon Phonological Awareness {FREEBIE}

Monday already? Don't worry if you're like me and running summer ESY or programming,  I'm getting back to the grind. Today is the first day of the summer literacy program I'm co-leading.

During our first week we will run pre-assessments and do baseline gathering. In past years, most of our program focused on phonological awareness skills. With that in mind, I'm planning on focusing on segmenting and rhyming during the first week.

To make that work, I'm playing with watermelons! This freebie is a group activity where the group can chant the Watermelon rhyme. Then let the kiddos take turns grabbing watermelons from a bag and determining how many syllable parts are included. Clap it, tap it or heck 'chomp it' to give your students the multisensory experience!


You can grab my Watermlon Syllable Counting Activity for free on TpT. 

We can follow up with Raffi's  Down By The Bay. I have it in my iTunes account, which is only a little bit embarrassing when it comes on over the Bluetooth in my car. After we sing this a few times, we will make our own class book with this TpT freebie I found"Down by the Bay Book Freebie". Witha focus on segmenting and rhyme throughout the first week we should have a better idea where our students are starting from!

Enjoy the freebie and make sure you leave feedback if you take it!