Sunday, January 8, 2012

MLK Day

Are you looking for some Speech and Language Activities for Martin Luther King Jr. Week? Well so was I, so I did some digging around on the web and over at PediaStaff's MLK Pinterest Board. This is a peek at our week!


Writing/Video: One of the best activities we did was with a writing prompt. The kids filled out this writing prompt that models Dr. King's, I Have a Dream Speech. This was my example:




Grab the writing prompts here.



The real fun we had was using the Ipad to record each other giving their "I have a dream" speeches. I can't show them to you, because I'm protecting the privacy of the students, so you will just have to trust me that they are very cute! We emailed them to the parents when we were done! SO FUN!! This activity was great for articulation and fluency. We played back the movies to listen for articulation errors.


Craft: I made up this little craft. You can grab it for free HERE!



We used it in speech to work on following directions, basic concepts and talking about reason Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is admired. Each kid picked their own word that was the most important after our conversation and added it to their sheet. We added little magnets to the back of them to take home and put on the refrigerator.

Videos: I watched a couple videos on the ipad.
 The first one was great for grades 3-5.
http://www.brainpop.com/socialstudies/famoushistoricalfigures/martinlutherkingjr/ 
And this second one I used for kids in grades k-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Au81aHuSg
After the videos we had discussions and worked on WH questions, comprehension, reasoning etc. 




MLK Tic-Tac-Toe




You can grab this cute activity HERE AT BOARDMAKER SHARE.


News2You: If your school pays for you to have a News2You subscription, you can find their MLK information here 


Reading Comprehension: We used this worksheet. 








You can download it HERE.



APPS: If you're working with older kids, who are capable of higher level thinking you might want to check out this Ipad app. It's currently $1.99 and has 10 of Dr. King's speeches. I didn't try it because it's too high for the children on my caseload.





I hope you found something you can use in your speech room. What did you do to talk about MLK?