Friday, November 16, 2012

Thanksgiving, Multicultural Holidays & a {FREEBIE}!

Happy Friday! Today's post it a little of this and a little of that. Kind of how my week has been! 



First of all, a look at this week in preschool. I read a Thanksgiving book and brought my food bin.


We each planned our Thanksgiving! Here was mine at one point!


If you don't have the cutting food set from Melissa and Doug you need it! It's simple enough to target single words or actions (eat, cut) and can be used to make elaborate play schemes with multi-step directions and tier 2 vocabulary.


Some how the boys always find a way to build a tower. Even with play food.


I'm throwing all my Thanksgiving Items on Sale! Stock up if you still need plans for next week! Gooble Gobble!

And while you're in my TPT Shop....



 Check out my new Multicultural December Holidays Pack. I made this pack to use with my 2nd- 5th graders. I do a mixture of Holidays in my classroom and in clinic. The kids are SO interested in the holidays. Studying the different types of celebrations is a wonderful way to engage them and work on speech and language skills!



I have highlighted Kwanzaa, Hanukkah and Christmas in this 64 page document. Each holiday is described in a document outlining the history and current traditions (source: Scholastic). Please realize that each of these holidays is tied to a religion, so there is information about each religion. It is a district and personal decision about whether this is appropriate for your students. 


Other fact pages are included. 




Check comprehension with these questions and main idea sheets. 


I love attaching illustrations to new vocabulary. It's been a great strategy for my 3rd graders this year. Here they learn and draw. 



There is also a describing activity for each holiday. Generic game boards are included to be used with any goal.



I made a vocabulary matching game and bingo board game to target vocabulary in each holiday.




The last activity is a card game that can be played with any speech or language cards.


I included similarities and difference cards to work on comparing the holidays after studying them. 



Hope some of you can use the Multicultural Packet! If you log into my TPT store you can grab the card game for FREE where it says preview. ((See the orange rectangle that says DOWNLOAD PREVIEW.)) 

I'm trying not to be jealous of all of you who get ALL of next week as vacation. I'll certainly take my 3 days and be happy about it!